Monday, August 18, 2008

Mystery Fish!



I've been fishing in the Mississippi all of my life... so for about 35 years now. I've caught every type of fish we have here in Iowa. I caught something last week that I'd never seen before. In fact I caught two of them. I was standing on a concrete wall about 2 feet wide with a concrete wall behind me. Trying to hold my pole and the fish while trying to get my camera phone out of my wallet, while trying to NOT fall in the Mississippi River right behind the roller dams if quite a task. I managed to get 4 pictures before the fish fell into the water. Mysteriously the pictures had disappeared from my camera by the time I got home to upload them to my PC.


I searched for hours online trying to find what fish this may be but I had no luck. I wrote the Iowa DNR for help. I gave them what I thought was a pretty thorough description, but they wanted a picture.


So, I went out this morning and amazingly I caught another one and managed to get a picture of it. I took about 12 pictures, but these are the only two that, for some reason, stayed on my camera. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know.

1 comment:

blah blah blah said...

Nice job taking an endangerd species out, did you eat it ? looks like a little lemon butter and chives would make him a nice apitizer.